Why Garbage TV is getting more and more Garbage TV?
It started in the U.S. with the "The Big Brother", then "Survivor", then "Fear Factor" up to the Fox total make over of "The Swan" and finally landing into "Flavor of Love", "The girls next door", "Celebrity fit Club" and "My Super Sweet 16".
Wherever you move in the world and you turn on the TV you collect garbage.
What do you think about it? What is the worse garbage TV in your own country?
Flavor of Love, for instance, is the #1 VH1 TV show. Why?
- Maybe because people believe this is not what happens in the everyday life.
- Maybe because there are more people living weird lives than we think.
- Maybe because we consider ourselves "non-weird" while to some extent we really are.
- Maybe because anybody would do anything to be in a television show no matter what.
- Maybe because we complain a lot about our privacy but most of the Americans prefer to be either closeted or extremeley out.
- Maybe because education and good taste are no more values
- Maybe because we confuse morality with sexuality
- maybe because we live in violent society which doesn't use "kick boxing" for instance as a martial art but as a way to kick butts.
- Maybe because we are so obsessed by the religious judgement that we forget the natural sense of nudity and being comfortable with oneselves which brings us to not needing to show off our bodies for money.
Have also a look at this 1989 article in the New York Times:
Reviews/Television; 'Garbage TV,' or, When Crass Is More http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE2DF153DF931A35750C0A96F948260